29 July 2021 Posted in [Speeches]
Minister of Justice of Japan,
Ms Kamikawa Yoko
- Thank you very much for the welcome to myself and to my delegation.
- Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I am very honoured to be here this afternoon, to be signing the Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) in person, in Tokyo today.
- As Minister mentioned earlier, this is something that I had raised, when I met with your State Minister of Justice Mr Hiroshi Hiraguchi in March 2019, and I am glad that today we are able to see its conclusion.
Singapore-Japan Bilateral Relations
- Singapore and Japan enjoy a longstanding and a close relationship. This year marks the 55th anniversary of the establishment of our diplomatic relations.
- Our two countries have deepened and broadened our relationship and cooperation over the years, ranging from defence, environment, biomedical research to cybersecurity; and now, also supply chain connectivity, vaccine multilateralism, and of course, the resumption of business travel.
- It is therefore momentous to be able to extend and expand the scope of our already wide-ranging cooperation on this 55th anniversary.
- This MOC will institutionalise our cooperation in international commercial dispute resolution, and also in the people-to-people exchange in the legal sector.
- These areas are very important to both our countries. We both embrace free trade as a source of economic growth, and a multilateral rules-based trading system.
- Legal and dispute resolution services are means to support what we believe in.
- In cross-border trade and investments, what businesses need is confidence that their investments will be protected after they have decided to do business in the country.
- Given our two countries’ strong economic links, it is imperative for us to work more closely together to protect and enhance dispute resolution services.
- I am also very happy that we are starting from a very strong base:
a. We have regular exchanges between our governments.
b. Our arbitration and mediation institutions have already been working closely together.
c. Our lawyers and in-house counsel have also come together, to share experiences at a very high-level legal conference organised by MinLaw and Japan Association of Arbitrators in Tokyo in March 2019. Then Vice Minister of Justice Hiroyuki Tsuji delivered the opening address.
- I am very confident that the Memorandum of Cooperation that we will be signing shortly will enhance our business support and also grow the economic ties between our two countries.
- Thank you very much, Minister, and congratulations on the signing of the MOC!
- Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Last updated on 29 July 2021